- Good quality bread (our favorite is Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane)
- Earth Balance or other vegan margarine (for cooking)
- ½ 19oz block medium tofu
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- ¼ - ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- alternative milk (for thinning)
- powdered sugar + cinnamon
- cherry or apple pie filling + So Delicious CocoWhip
- maple syrup + vegan “ham” slices + vegan cheddar shreds
In blender or food processor combine tofu, oil, sugar, spices, and vanilla. Blend/process, adding milk as needed until mixture is smooth and consistency resembles that of yogurt.
Pour tofu mixture into a shallow dish. Turn frying pan on to medium-high and coat with Earth Balance.
Batter both sides of bread with tofu mixture, gently using a cake spatula or knife to remove excess batter from bread. Place battered bread on pan and cook each side for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Butter pan in between each batch.
Top and garnish as desired (see recommended toppings).
Makes 10 large slices of french toast.